Mirage 4G63 w/AWD Conversion

Discuss SWAPPING of parts (engines, transmissions, etc) in this forum.

Moderator: Swap Moderators

tahleel
Newb

Mirage 4G63 w/AWD Conversion

Post by tahleel » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:36 am

I know this topic has been beaten over and over again. I've searched, but I want a definitive answer. A little background on me, I'm a DSM guy. I've owned 4 DSM's thus far (all 2Gs). I currently have a TSi AWD. I want something that has four doors, AWD and is more practical. I cannot afford to buy a new (or used) EVO, so I'd see if I can build something similar myself.

Is the rear mount on the engine (such as 1Gs) or on the transmission (such as 2Gs)?

Also, the following questions is the most important question:
Can I use a GVR4 rear suspension (subframe, control arms, hubs and shocks), in a 92-95 Mirage, with minor modifications? READ: Bolt-on, to a very minor welding job.

This is going to be on a DD, and I wouldn't feel safe having a butchered rear end, like I see on most of the AWD conversions. The EVO3 rear set-up is too hard to find, and the only people you can get them from are unreliable importers, unless you want to pay a really high premium.

Also, just a side note, will the DSM axles work in the Mirage front hubs? Do they have the same spline count, and needed length?

Thanks a lot,

-Tahleel

kaioken
No longer a newbie

Post by kaioken » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:48 am

Your going to need to use the 2G transmission.

You can use the DSM axles in the front if you change out to the 5x114 hubs.

For sale 4G Sedan 1.5L Auto parts. (PM)

rallysjd
No longer a newbie

Re: Mirage 4G63 w/AWD Conversion

Post by rallysjd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 pm

tahleel wrote:Can I use a GVR4 rear suspension (subframe, control arms, hubs and shocks), in a 92-95 Mirage, with minor modifications? READ: Bolt-on, to a very minor welding job.
No, its not even close to a bolt on or very minor weld job. You have to cut out the existing welded-in rear suspension box section and a chunk of the rear tub, and replace it later. You have to weld in a beam to hold the diff carrier, and do a LOT of cut-shut-weld to create attatchment points for the front subframe mounts. The gas tank has to be removed and located elsewhere with something else. The tail shaft is 2cm too long for the coupe, and 2cm too short for the sedan. You have to make two support frames for the tail shaft, or just one if you make the tail shaft tubes 2 3/4" instead of 2".

And the list goes on and on with little details.

SD